Thursday, December 21, 2006

Blogging toy of the day: WriteToMyBlog!

In the past, I've used Microsoft Word to write most of my blog posts; I like its spell-checking and formatting (as opposed to the primitive capabilities of Blogger.com's built-in editor), and I especially like the "smart quotes" feature, which automatically inserts “real” quotes (like the preceding) instead of the tacky "telegraph-style" quotes you get otherwise. It also puts in genuine apostrophes: I don't like the ones like the preceding, while I can’t help loving the real ones.

The problem, however, is this: how does one get what one has written from Word to one's blog?



The new Word 2007 is supposed to have blog integration built in; nice thought, but it doesn't help those of us who don't have (and can't afford) Word 2007. I've been using a Word add-in (from Google, the owner of Blogger.com and much else of the universe) called Blogger for Word; this allowed me to manage blog posts and send new ones to my blogs, right from Word. Only two problems: First, it doesn't work on my office PC, where I do most of my writing; and second, it doesn't support the new version of Blogger, which I'm now (perforce, more or less) using. Good-bye, Blogger for Word.

So what to do? After some frantic Googling, I've discovered a new tool that shows some promise: WriteToMyBlog. It's a free, Web-based editor that allows you to manage posts, write and post new ones, insert pictures (using a range of hosting options), and do all sorts of other cute stuff. So far, the only feature I don't see that I really want is the "smart quotes" (along with "smart apostrophe" and automatic N-dashes) - so you're probably seeing this with a bunch of non-smart quotes. Sorry sorry sorry. If it actually works, it looks like a pretty decent tool - and if you can read this, it worked!



Tags: ,

4 Comments:

At Fri Dec 22, 12:33:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Tim said...

Hi Don. I'm reading it, so it must have worked ;)

 
At Thu Nov 01, 04:55:00 AM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Copy and paste, shouldn't that work? If not, perhaps pure html code. Hope this helps. blue silk

 
At Sat Aug 23, 08:33:00 AM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WriteToMyBlog looks like Microsoft Word online. Tq for ur info.

 
At Sun Sep 28, 07:00:00 AM GMT+3, Blogger Rebecca said...

Welcome to our website for scan runescape powerleveling and buy

runescape gold
and cheap runescape gold

service.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home